Friday, January 24, 2020

Master Bedroom Remodel


We have lived in our home for 5 years now, and the master suite remodel was last on our list of updates. Here is what my bedroom looked like just after we moved in:
For some reason we thought painting the walls a dark chocolate brown would camouflage the honey oak woodwork. We were wrong.

Like most of our remodel projects, we start off by hiring an Interior Designer. See my post here on why this is an important step!

Most of the time I know what I like and hire an Interior Designer to confirm my decisions or tell me I'm way off base. For my bedroom walls though, I really had no idea what color I wanted to paint them I just knew I no longer wanted the brown color that they currently were. We went through the master bathroom design first and I mentioned that I wanted a blue color for the cabinets. When we got to the bedroom walls I admitted I had no idea what color I wanted them but wasn't opposed to color. She suggested painting the bedroom walls the same color as the bathroom cabinets as it will tie the rooms together. BRILLIANT! Its the small details that make a space, and these details are what designers are trained to do.

Picking the trim color was easy, I went with the color that was in the rest of the home. In the past I have brushed the paint on the trim for the windows. It was a tedious task that took forever, with 2 coats for primer and 3 coats for paint. This time I decided to spray the window trim, as I had 6 larger windows that needed to be painted. It took hours of taping and covering the windows, but just minutes to spray the primer and paint on and the finish was perfect, so it was well worth it.

We planned to get new flooring since I am not a fan of carpet, but it had been years since we did the rest of the flooring in the home and the flooring we had before was no longer available. Our Interior Designer recommended running the flooring the opposite way of the adjoining flooring in order to make a more obvious transition. She also agreed with my vision of a lighter wood looking floor so that was good!

I removed all of the trim and carpeting myself. This allowed me extra time to paint the trim before the flooring was installed. I planned to spray all of the trim, but had to prep everything first by cleaning and sanding. I made sure to label every piece of trim that was removed to make sure it was easy to put it back in its correct place!

The most challenging part of the bedroom remodel was the ceiling. There are certain design elements that I don't like, without any particular reason at all. Tray ceilings in the master bedroom are on that list. Now I know it is not reasonable to have the tray ceiling removed, so instead I decided to make it look more visually interesting by adding shiplap. My plan was to simply locate the roof trusts and run the shiplap the opposite way in order to secure the planks. After a lot of attempts with the stud finder, I realized that the roof trusts weren't as easy to locate as I had thought. I called my uncle who is an expert in roof trusts and over the phone he was able to walk me through the trust design for the roof of my house, and I realized it was not all running one way. Here is the collaboration picture I drew with the help of my uncle. Have I mentioned I started my college journey studying Architecture? I didn't finish with that degree, and this picture might help you understand why..
So, after all of that, I decided that I would do the best I could with nailing the planks into the truss but also used a generous amount of Liquid Nails on each plank before nailing. I also used my jigsaw to cute a hole in the middle for the new ceiling fan, and then my miter saw to frame the edges of the shiplap for a nice clean look. Then went through and patched and painted every single nail hole. WORTH IT THOUGH. This ceiling is the first thing I see in the morning when I wake up and I'm so happy with how it turned out. Ceilings are getting more attention lately, I have noticed that builders are giving architectural design to ceilings and I love the concept. It draws the eye up in the room.

New bedding, a new rug, a new ceiling fan, new flooring, painted walls, painted windows and trim, shiplap planked ceiling and the room is complete! Here are a few before and after pictures for reference:

 So tell me, what do you think of this shiplap planked tray ceiling and bedroom update?

Want to see more of my refinishing? Check out Instagram and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment