Sunday, January 10, 2021

Card Catalog Furniture Makeovers

Some of these pieces are true card catalogs, and some just look like it. I love working on this style, and wanted to share a few that I have done.

Don't forget to see all of my transformations by following me on Facebook or Instagram.

First is this metal piece that used to belong to my client's grandparents. It was previously painted brown, just needed a fresh update.

The drawers on this are a bit larger, so I would consider this an apothecary cabinet. It was covered in a thick goopy brown paint, and I stripped the entire piece and added label holders for a look that is more true to its style.
Another apothecary style cabinet, this one a bit taller and different hardware was used. Each handle is attached to an individual drawer, in true apothecary style:



This one is a faux card catalog look since it is only one drawer, but what is unique about this is that it came from the top of an old coffee table that I had previously refinished and I added hairpin legs.
I have done a few mid century style dressers and opted to give them the look of several smaller drawers to replicate a card catalog style:

My client found this vintage library card catalog and scooped it up, then had it refinished by me. The hardware is original to the piece, and I stripped and stained the entire thing.


Sometimes just adding card catalog hardware to furniture gives it the illusion of having multiple drawers. This is best done with pieces that have grooves cut to look like smaller drawers:


What do you think? Do you like the look of card catalog style? Do you have any in your own home? If so, what do you use it for? I envision storing winter gear by the front door, or wine bottles in the kitchen, or craft storage, basically lots of storage options!

No comments:

Post a Comment