Wednesday, August 15, 2018

DIY Patio Table

After we got married, we decided to buy "adult" patio furniture. You know, to replace the fold up camping chairs that had previously perched on the back patio. It was the end of summer so there were a lot of sales going on, and Menards had a cute stone top patio table with 4 matching chairs for $500.  Sold.  Fast forward to four years later and the stone top was literally crumbling and falling apart.


Let me back up for a second and share a little background.  Ever since before my kids could walk, they loved playing in the sand.  I mentioned to my husband that we should get them a sandbox.  He promised to make one.  After quite some time passed I found a used one on marketplace and checked that off the list.  Did I mention he had already bought the wood for the sandbox but never got around to actually making it? Yeah.
So here is a picture of the crappy crumbling stone patio table.  See what I mean? Yuck. Even my kids noticed the mess of a table falling apart.  I decided that the base was in good shape and the chairs were good, we just really needed a new table top.  I removed the table top from the base and gave the base a quick scrub and fresh coat of paint.


The next step was to locate all of the "sandbox" wood to repurpose into a table top.



I cleaned off the dust and gave the wood a good sanding.  I then cut two smaller boards that were the same length as the table and attached it with two screws in each board.  This wood helps keep the table top in place and gives the base something to attach to.
After the base was dry, I attached it to the table top with a few screws.
That's it!  Maybe someday I will stain it but for now I'm liking it natural.  Please note, I am not claiming to be a carpenter and I know its not perfect and I could have framed it out and made it more "pretty" but I think its fine for now. Here is the final product:

 Don't forget to like my Facebook page, Flipping Unbelievable or follow me here on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment